Friday, July 25, 2008

A Quick Note

I made a decision today while I was working on Saving Scout and decided to write about it briefly in lieu of posting what I wrote today; I will post the next segment of the book when I have ten more pages or so. My decision is to let myself run with the parenting entries for a solid week and see how it goes. I have been really conflicted about the many parenting entries I have recorded here because they are not linked in any way to any current, active projects, but that is not to say that they couldn't be, and based on some of the feedback I have been getting and the way I feel about some of the work, maybe they should be. Regardless, I am going to stop feeling guilty or self-indulgent when I write about parenting or my children for one solid week and let the chips fall where they may. It is possible that the work is trying to tell me something and that I need to listen to it. I am so wary of alienating those who don't have or aren't interested in kids, as well as becoming one of those women who turns toward kids as a fallback subject due to a disengagement with the world at large. But I have a tendency to let fear inhibit what I write, and I'm a little tired of trying to figure out what other people want or don't want to read about and second guessing every notion that comes into my head. One week. Kids. Parenting. Bring it on.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea!

Anonymous said...

do it.

Christie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Christie said...

Hey Amy,

I can speak as someone who doesn't have kids. I am never bored by the topic. To be fair, it could be because I want kids. But it was interesting, reading your post from a few days ago about the dinner where the one woman made you stop discussing kids, my first response was "how rude!" But then as I went on to read your response to the incident, I was fascinated and I understood what you were saying. I'd imagine it's hard to feel like one aspect of yourself dominates your life and keeps you from exploring all other aspects. So, what I mean to say is, I get it.

However, I am VERY excited for a week of parenting posts. When you write about your experiences, the imagery is so vivid and the emotions are so visceral. And if your writing leads you there, I think there's nothing wrong with obliging. Not that different from a writers focusing on one genre for a while.

Anyway, one fan here eagerly awaiting the results.

Christie said...

Okay, so I never figured out how to edit posts here, so I deleted my first one and reposted to fix a typo. I hate typos. But I just found another one and I feel like it would be silly to delete again (because it actually lists the posts as deleted). So I'm going to try to reign in my obsessive need to do this and just tell everyone to forgive me typo. :)

Christie said...

And, of course, there's a typo in my post about typos.

It's early and I haven't had coffee yet.

I'm leaving now...

Anonymous said...

Amy, Isn't this suppposed to be YOUR writting exercise! Write from your heart, it may come back as something else down the road.