Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree, etc., etc.

Two nights ago, as I lay on the couch downstairs reading at 12:30 at night, I started when I suddenly saw Lily standing at the foot of the couch, Mr. Popper's Penguins in one hand, her new Itty Bitty Booklight--a colossal mistake, as you will see--in the other.

"What in the world are you doing awake?" I asked her, jumping up to take her straight back to bed. "What woke you up?"

"I haven't been to sleep yet," she said, on the verge of tears. "I'm so tired, but Mama, I just love reading so much. I just can't stop."

Last night 10, tonight 9:30 or so after the light was confiscated, to the sound of wailing protest: I know it's too late, and I want to go to sleep, but you have no idea how good this book is.

I told my mother about the 12:30 night on the phone and heard a sigh. "I can't say I'm very surprised," she said. Ah. Yes.

It's 11:30 now, and I think I will bring my book up to bed. But only for a half an hour. Famous last words.

3 comments:

SMB said...

Amy I am so glad you are back writing your blog! Oh, by the way your eldest cousin is not the best looking!!!!

Ub said...

Yup, that's Lily. I miss her and her unwillingness to put books away ;)

sheila said...

Oh my, I'm soooo proud. How familiar this sounds!