Monday, January 21, 2008

A Plunge

Okay. I actually have an assignment for real, and I have been putting and putting and putting it off. I'm not sure why, and it's so late now that it may even be too late, but inspired by the fact that I've found it possible to snatch enough time for my 750 words on the subject of procrastination, I am going to shoot for a start to this piece right here and now. I think part of the problem is legitimate: I'm not certain what the point should be, what I'm writing toward, I guess. But my awareness of that problem has not proven helpful in any way, shape or form, so I will just try to start, which is--I am finding--always better than doing nothing at all.

The assignment is to write about the four generations of my family spending time together: my grandmother, my mother, my daughters and me. See, it's a vague idea, right? It has no inherent point. And I pitched it in the first place; I have no one to blame but myself. Blah, blah--I'm doing it again. Here goes. Any insight very much appreciated...

Four Generations
By Amy Wilensky

"Mama?" Lily is standing at my desk holding a pad of paper and a pen. "How do you spell 'tease?'"

"Why?" I ask, absent-mindedly, squinting at my monitor.

"I am writing a letter to Mormor," she explains. "I am going to tell her that I don't like it when she teases me." I turn to her. Lily, just 4, has been writing letters lately, along with signs, nametags, and "homework;" the ideas of self-expression and communication by means of the written word are clearly taking hold. But this is not what strikes me then.

"You do like it when Mormor teases you, I think," I say, realizing this is true, a little surprised by it.

"Sometimes," she agrees. "But I think she'll think it's funny if I tell her I don't."
She's right. Mormor, who is almost 92, will think this is funny. I don't, particularly, and my mother finds the teasing stressful, but this letter, this dynamic, has nothing to do with us. From as early on as Lily could talk, she and Mormor have had their own, unique, sometimes perplexing relationship. In fact, Mormor almost never teases my mother or me, and Lily does not play this flirtatious game with us. It is theirs, and theirs alone.

Sometimes, when we are walking down the street together--a cluster comprising baby Annika's stroller pushed by my grandmother, Lily and her various stuffed companions, my mother and I coaxing everyone along--people call out to us. "Hey, is that four generations?" It happens enough now that we just smile and nod.

The first time it happened, when Lily was an infant, we were sitting at the bar having lunch at our favorite restaurant. "What's the age span here?" a man waiting for a table asked. My mother and I looked at each other.

"Almost 90 years," I said.

"Wow. Four generations, right? That's incredibly lucky," he said, as the people seated on either side of our group checked us out, mildly curious. I hadn't yet stopped to think about it that way. Now, of course, I can't stop. Four generations. Very lucky indeed.

*

I am being summoned for an indoor picnic. I am not happy with this beginning. It is much like the other five beginnings I have for this piece, and yet again feels like it is going nowhere fast. What I want to establish, I think, is that there is something amazing about the fact that we four females, related by blood and experience, but different from each other in so many ways, have established intense and wildly different relationships with each other that give me insight, across the span of nearly a century, into who I am and who I want to be.

How can I ever get this across without resorting to platitudes? And in enough time to submit the piece before the editor who commissioned it leaves or retires (She is 36, I think.)? Tomorrow is another day.

6 comments:

nlaborde said...

I love this beginning -- could you just continue with anecdotes illustrating the differences in the relationships between varying members of the four generations? The coexistance of four generations must have been common at some point? Would it be interesting to address why that is not true, why you guys are lucky? Grasping at straws here, but I think you are off to a good start.

And I want links!

Emilie Oyen said...

O this is so much better and more interesting than facebook communication..
Years ago I thought about writing apiece abt my mom and I and kept sort of thinking about landscapes as a metaphor... like there was a field that lay between us. THat was as far as I got. And I always remember your grandmother's swimming pool, and the way it felt to you during autumn (from something you wrote at Columbia). I wonder if there's an angle there?

Something seasonal---ahh, 4 seasons.. or is that too corny? Or somethign swimming pooly.. : )

cant wait to see how it evolves, i like how it starts.. x

Pam Hohn said...

What strikes me are several things:
you all are incredibly lucky to be able to be together frequently enough to form relationships--many families don't live close enough through 4 generations for that to happen;
Mormor's health and acuity are gifts to you and Lily;
Lily's intelligence and emotional IQ are high, enabling her to form relationships without you;
Mormor was a big part of your childhood because of the geographic proximity and now is a part of Lily's;
You seem to be on the same wavelength as your mom; whenever I visit my mom, I always wonder, "where did I come from?" we are so different in so many ways--it doesn't cause conflict, but it's not a basis for closeness either;
Responding to Nicole, I think the coexistence of three generations was common at some point, but not four. I think the Baby boomers once again have set a trend, in that they are taking care of their parents (because that generation--"the greatest"--has been lving longer, and of their own children and grandchildren--maybe due to single parenthood being more prevalent among their children?

blogthecat said...

Four Generations is a great idea, and it's already obvious you have tons of material for it. Re: the beginning, I wonder if you might try starting with an anecdote involving all four of you (e.g., walking down the road in paras 7 and 8) to orient the reader to the core theme of the piece. The Lily/Mormor bit could then follow a little later, along with other exchanges/illustrations of your various relationships, and what these mean to you. what they tell you about you.

In other words, starting with an all-encompassing anecdote and then moving on to more specific ones once the reader "gets" the connective tissue of the piece. But this is just a suggestion--I was interested from the start of the current version, so this beginning might work just fine. I make my suggestion in case it might help in terms of structural framework.

J and D said...

as always, I think you are a great writer who can capture small moments into a meaningful writer that appeals to many readers.
Keep writing.
:)

beefncheese said...

probably to late for this, article has probably already gone to press, but I want to know how Mormor and Lily tease each other. also, wants the relationship of Mrs. Wilensky (my calling her this may be a dead giveaway to my identity) to Lily?