Friday, January 18, 2008

And so it begins....

I cannot believe I have started a blog. I cannot believe this for many reasons, but first and foremost I cannot believe it because I am essentially computer illiterate. Just last night, in fact, a computer savvy friend, watching me struggle with my mouse (yes, it is possible, if you are truly inept, to struggle with a mouse), asked me if I knew that the "tab" key caused the cursor to jump to the next section on the screen. Needless to say, I did not. However, it has become clear to me over the past five minutes that in this day and age the smarter of my two collies could possibly start her own blog, if it weren't for the awkwardly large paws, although I am so impressed by apple these days that I wouldn't be shocked if they actually had a solution for this. Dog Blogs? Go for it, Jobs. 

That leads me nicely into the second reason I am shocked I have started a blog: although I am not self-conscious by nature, and I almost always want to be read, writing in the form of a blog, and forcing myself to write a minimum of 750 words each day (more on that to come), is going to require some surrendering of control over what I write and how I write it.  Although I know I will still revise and edit what I write here, it will not be obsessively or time-consumingly, as that would require me to give up things I need for survival, such as income and online Scrabble.  I will have to release text into the blog universe (or at least to those who know about the blog and actually read it: I'm talking to you, Joel, and you too, soon-to-be browbeaten Nicole) that is essentially raw, occasionally embarrassing (I could erase that line about the collies and the aside to Steve Jobs, for example, but I won't, as it illustrates this point so well) and in a stream-of-conscious style that I usually disdain. My hope is that this will feel okay, after a while, and that possibly it will even be good for me, in that if nothing else, I will actually be writing. 

This leads me to the final reason I cannot believe I have started a blog, and it is, as final reasons often are, the most important one. As someone for whom writing has always been a tremendous source of pleasure, and more--the way I best sort out what and why I feel and think about practically everything--as well as my chosen profession, most potentially useful skill and an essential component of my identity, I have been doing very little of it for the past few years, since becoming a mother, actually, and I finally decided this state of affairs needed to stop. I have always scoffed at blogs a little, to be totally honest, as navel-gazing, writing for want-to-be writers instead of "real" ones, whatever that means, but the truth of the situation is that the people I know who have blogs are real writers, in that they are writing, and most of them are incredibly accomplished and talented and productive at writing and everything else they do, which is possibly not a coincidence. I want to be these things too, more than I am often willing to admit, and so much so in fact that a lack of effort has been my solution for way too long in terms of alleviating my anxiety about not living up to my own expectations. 

So let me stop now and do a word count.  (That took a little while because I could not figure out how to do with the computer's assistance so was forced to determine a line average of 20 words and count lines.) I think I should have almost 700 words by now, so I will end by explaining the title of the blog and the goal I have set for myself. We have all heard of or read about writers who set word goals for themselves and write EVERY DAY no matter what. I have been hearing and reading about these writers for, oh, about 30 years and have thus far never constructed a writing shed in my backyard, risen at 5 before the rest of my family for concentrated alone time, or established a symbiotic relationship with a "writing buddy" with whom I exchange the day's work for helpful feedback. I have tried all manner of writing workshops, including some very expensive ones during my two years at Columbia, and although they helped me get work done to a varying degree in the moment, their effects were not lasting, their impact on my own inertia minimal where it counts: at home and over time. 

So as a person who has rarely made let alone kept a New Year's resolution,  spent her childhood inscribing two, maybe three pages of every little pink keyed diary I was ever given, this is my pledge to myself in writing, online, where I am told the real word now exists. I am going to write at least 750 words every day, on this blog (the word still makes me cringe--let's hope that fades), for as long as I can, maybe for the rest of my life if it works. Because I want to be writing, I need to be writing. And the funny thing about writing, is once you do it, you're doing it. 750 words. I have to say, I feel better already. 

7 comments:

nlaborde said...

Hooray!! I am very excited about your blog and about your seven hundred and fifty words a day. Does that include weekends? And does "seven hundred and fifty" need hyphens?

blogthecat said...

Yay! You are going to be so happy you did this, Amy, for all the reasons you're hoping for. I love your writing, and am excited I can now check it out on a regular basis. Brilliant title!

Nicole - post on hyphens upcoming - I feel you, sistah (in law).

darnaboldi said...

I am shocked and amazed at your bravery--not because I doubt your abilities--but because I know I could not live up to the 750 word/day limit in such a public sphere. Then again, you are a writer, and I actually think you do know what that means. Needless to say, I am proud of you.

darnaboldi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pam Hohn said...

I"m incredibly impressed that you figured out how to do a blog. I'm having trouble even finding the ones that other people write. I don't know why, but it seems like it would be complicated to find a particular blog.

And, am impressed that you have found a way to keep writing that will provide satisfaction and gratification (those don't mean the same thing do they?), but that doesn't have outside pressures. Who knows, maybe your blog will become so popular, you'll be able to sell some advertising!

I got to tell you I just had lunch with some friends at a restaurant in Champaign that I hadn't been to before. I had a great goat cheese salad--mixed greens, raspbery vinagrette, strawberries, grapes, candied walnuts and goat cheese. Yum. We'll try to go there on your next visit here.

xTD said...

Your approach of meeting your writing goal in your blog seems unusual. I'm more used to seeing writers blogging more to put off doing actual writing work.

Whatever works - good luck!

betsy said...

Yay! Well done you! It is great to see you in this space. I'm very impressed at your public commitment to daily writing (spoken as another child who had a pile of mostly empty pink-keyed diaries). I owe you an email and a collage. I'm anxiously awaiting the end of the month. xo