Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The Princess Problem, Part Deux

Okay, I lied. The book is not really in the basement, although I did hide it behind my computer, and Lily forgot about it overnight, as she is wont to do with such things. I find that most of the time "out of sight, out of mind" works well with her for all but the most beloved posessions. Maybe this is true for all four-year-olds? Regardless, she has not asked about the book, which was not around long enough to make much of an impression and which I read in such an edited and lackluster fashion that even the tiny paper makeup brushes probably seemed less alluring by the time I was "done."

One of the reasons the book is not in the basement is because I had a crazy busy day, and I am also a little lazy about going to the basement unless I absolutely have to. But another reason is that when I reread yesterday's post, I was really annoyed by myself and kept it around and near me as I worked to force myself to think about why. I guess I couldn't help but imagine reading the piece as somebody else, which sounds weird and possibly insane but bear with me. I mean, I imagined that it had been written by somebody else, not by me, and that a me who hadn't written it--and even agreed with everything I wrote--would have found this hypothetical writer to be a bit of an ass.

Well that's certainly bad writing, even factoring in for the colloquial blog format, but it is the word that comes to mind and for a variety of reasons. For one, the whole anti-princess thing has been done before, and by much bigger names than mine. For another, it's so facile--either you embrace the movement and buy your little girl tons of princess crap because you like it and think it's cute or because she does, both of which are totally legitimate, or you don't, and your kid is or isn't annoyed by your resistance. It's not actually that interesting, either way. Yes, there are cultural and regional and ethnic reasons people do or don't embrace princess paraphernalia, but one of the most intellectual, political feminists I know could care less if her daughter wears a ballgown and tiara all day, and some people I find moronic have taken a strident anti-stance like mine, and there are gun-lovers in the blue states, and atheists in the red states and blah, blah, blah. What I am interested in is why I care so much and what it means for me and for my own child, who spent all yesterday afternoon in a Cinderella dress from her costume box while constructing an elaborate parking garage with one of her favorite friends, who happens to be a boy.

I am not saying that I did anything wrong by censoring the book or even hiding it away. I am who I am, and personally--as an adult--I find princess stuff, especially the commercialized version that is ubiquitous these days, distasteful in a visceral way. But when I was thinking about it this morning, my face got hot as I remembered a favorite pastime for months when I was about ten. My sister and I were in the Nutcracker, and my mother had bought a large makeup kit--about the size of three laptop computers placed side-by-side--to help do makeup backstage. When the performances were over, she gave the kit to us, or we appropriated it, and I loved it--was passionately in love with it, can remember the smell and taste of the glossy little lipstick circles, the sheen of the mauve eye-shadow (which was big in the eighties for a brief spell), the sleek brushes and wands with their fake tortoiseshell handles and grubby flattened ends.

Did that makeup kit turn me into a "girly girl," a species I was wary of as early as junior high? Did it make my mother a Ramsey parent, prepping us for a lifetime of applying sparkles to our cheekbones in lieu of higher education and a sense of dignity? Or was it simply, well, fun.

The answer, my friends, seems fairly obvious to me now. I picked an easy battle with this topic, at first, anyway, and although I agree with my yesterday's self in principle, I think in practice I am going to try to be a little less controlling. One of the many things that Lily has taught me already, in her barely four years, is that she is bound and determined to be her very own person regardless of whether or not I give away the books and toys I don't like, bombard her with ones that I do. She's much less interested in what I think when I present it in a dogmatic, lecturing way, and the last thing I want is for her to become contrary because I'm annoying. Bottom line: I can bear raising two girls who like to don a princess dress every now and then because "it's pretty" as long as they also know their own minds.

*

It must be really uncool and alienating and possibly counterproductive if I am seeking increased commentary to give individual blog "shout-outs," but hey, I'm old and new to this, and I can get away with claiming not to know the rules. Thank you Betsy for making me think this through again--it feels good to think about something with a little exertion for a change. And Alex, you gave Lily Where the Wild Things Are, for which I will always be grateful, although the real place they are is: E-10, 1992.

4 comments:

nlaborde said...

I love this post. You are right-- it is complicated. And for someone who loves shopping as much as you do, the banning girly stuff would be considered thin ice. I know, because I could never get away with it. For the record, I am not a big fan of princess stuff, either. But Eva got a princess cape and crown and wand from her loving aunt and uncle for xmas, which she loves, and I have to say, is pretty cute.

ASW said...

I am feeling unsettled about this princess post for many reasons (the dangers of the blog format and this particular project, which requires expediency) present themselves. You are right, of course, although projecting a bit with the shopping thing, and it's actually not the clothes and most books about princesses that bother me at all. In fact, Lily was given a clever, fun book about princesses for her birthday that she loves by one of the coolest mother/daughter duos I know, and I still like fairy tales, which are often all about the princess.. This particular book--and the Disney princess stuff, in particular, which is all about sucking kids in to the commercialization of characters--is what gets to me, along with the glamorization of makeup and importance placed on physical appearance not for teenagers but for very little girls. And I would imagine that Eva looks stunning in her princess outfit. And capes and magic wands are pretty great. Thank you....

jennyben said...

I have a 4 year old boy who LOVES
princess paraphernalia and a nearly three year old girl who abhors dresses and could care
less about princesses. Go figure. So while I am pretty certain about
how I feel about princess shlock for girls, I am challenged now to
rethink how I feel about my son being into it. Is it bad for boys,
too? Or does it help widen his scope of the world and allow him to
express himself in ways that challenge gender and societal norms? And to any of you who know this little boy in question, no future blackmail, please... ;-)

Anonymous said...

you know, it strikes me that the moms who are bothered by the princess stuff are the ones who are the least likely to have daughters who are affected by it. Not the least likely to have daughters who are "into" princess paraphernalia, but the least likely to be negatively affected by the focus on physical appearance. Probably because those mothers are the most likely to have a dialogue about the subject.