Friday, August 15, 2008

(Very) Brief Meditation on the Essential Nature of Work

I just spent a quite productive number of hours, after putting the girls to bed, on work. I won't bore you with the details of what I was working on, but I will say that it was practical as opposed to creative, concrete as opposed to open-ended. And when I finished the last task I had set for myself, I was a bit surprised to find that although the work itself was only moderately interesting, and I had felt while I was doing it that I would much rather be working on a number of personal projects, I felt a real sense of pleasure and satisfaction. And I could not help but remember the last line of Candide, which I first read in high school; even then, I felt a jolt of recognition, an alignment of ideology. The line is:

“All that is very well,” answered Candide, “but let us cultivate our garden."

No comments: