Monday, January 5, 2009

No More Sorting Crackers

Lists seem to be de rigeur for the New Year, so here's my contribution:

• made sandwich for Lily's back-to-school lunch tomorrow
• organized rarely used box of cake decorating tools, sprinkles and candles
• watched 15 minutes of the Sex and the City episode in which Carrie and Samantha ride cross-country on a train; have seen at least 5 times over the years, cleaned coffee pot as I watched
• sorted Annika's shoes into pairs
• put all the crackers in mostly empty boxes into one large Ziplock bag
• ate one Double Stuff Oreo from bag hidden on the top of the refrigerator
• polished my glasses
• glued broken piece of china tray back on

This is perhaps the most boring list ever compiled. What makes it interesting, to me at least, is that it is a list of the things I did after midnight in order to keep from sitting down to write. I was afraid to sit down and write, waited too long, had nothing to say, didn't feel like coming up with some device to make me do it coherently.

I need to immerse myself in a writing project, this is very clear to me. New Year's pledge, list of one item only: Make the time and space to do it. I know this is a writing project, technically speaking, but this is not what I mean. Back to some work. Back to the drawing board, in whatever way that happens. No more grouping crackers. Maybe I'll change the resolution to that. Seems less insurmountable.

1 comment:

sheila said...

Oh Amy, you've got your writing project right in front of you. Being a mother, being a daughter. Alternating chapters. It's all here for you. Lucky us.