Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Sometimes a List is Just a List

So I didn't think about my twenty-five things list all day long, and then tonight, when I sat down to write, all I could come up with was single item. Seriously, I sat and sat, and thought and thought, and this is what I came up with. For the sake of optimisim, implying that the rest will eventually follow, I will call it item #12. 

I almost always buy and keep limes and lemons in my kitchen, but I rarely use them and am often forced to throw them away when they are shriveled and hard.

Why? Why in a day when so many things happened to and around me, a day in which I made cheese omelets, played giant dominos, had a conference about a 14-year-old boy who was the only student in his class to actually wear his pajamas to Pajama Day, poured bleach, polished glasses, mixed tuna salad, trimmed lily stems, discussed the book Twilight with a group of heavy hitters, brushed dogs, braided hair, visited Brooklyn, sent text messages, hid malted milk balls, and so many other equally irrelevant or mundane undertakings, is the lemon/lime item what came to my mind? 

I'm not sure. And my point is only this: I need to make this stupid list so I can check it off one of my other unfinished lists and move on. For all our sake.

I will add one more item off the cuff, off the top of my head, right damn now, to move things along a little more. Okay. Here goes:

I love karaoke, but only the kind in a private room not at a restaurant, and one of my favorite songs to perform is "The Tide is High" by Blondie. I sing it loudly and with much enthusiasm, but poorly. Once about ten years ago I sang a duet of "Mamas, Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up to Be Cowboys" with my friend Jenny at an outdoor restaurant in Florida. This was the last time I have done public karaoke.


4 comments:

Christie said...

I love item #12 for I always WANT to buy lemons and limes. But fear that I will not use them and I will need to throw them away. Perhaps I should embrace my fear and do it so I can say "I have lemons. And I have limes."

Curious what your discussion of Twilight centered around and what your thoughts are on it. Perhaps we can chat about it sometime.

Anonymous said...

My heart aches for the 14-year old boy who was the only one in his class to wear his pajamas to pajama day. How is he doing?

Anonymous said...

About an hour before reading this, I threw away a lime that was so old it had turned yellow...

Anonymous said...

No Wednesday night post Amy? Hope everyone's ok.