Saturday, June 14, 2008

Vignette

I remember this one day, a summer afternoon, when for some reason only my cousin Brandon and I were at my grandparents' house, where we all spent most summer days, thanks to the pool. My grandfather, whom we worshipped, had to run an errand and he asked if we wanted to go along, in his little white MG.

We both sat in the back, on the little ledge that was not really a seat but which we were used to, becasue of my mother's little green MG, and because now that I think about it, I think my grandmother went too.

I don't remember where we went--what he needed to do. I remember the novelty of being somewhere with this particular foursome, and in fact, this was probably the only occasion in my life that the four of were ever alone. I remember that we were taken to the penny candy store on the way home, and that I had some of those little edible paper flying saucers with the tasteless little sugar dots in them, and that the wind was blowing my hair across my face, and in my mouth, and that I was happy.

No comments: