Sunday, April 5, 2009

CVS

I'm at my parents' house, the house I grew up in, for the most part, and earlier today I had to make a run to the drug store, for diaper cream and wipes, which I'd forgotten in the rush of packing. This drug store--like most of the places of business in my hometown--has been here for decades, and as I pulled up to it and parked, right in front of the store, I had that feeling I get every time I come "home" that time is slipping all over the place. 

As I walked up to the entrance, to buy my diaper cream, mind you (diaper cream! I am a mother!), I was no longer thirty-nine but eighteen, and it was the night before my parents drove me to college in a packed Country Squire station wagon, and I was meeting my friend Kate, who lived up the road in the next town over, so we could buy school supplies to bring along to school. School supplies! How ridiculous, I think now, although I guess we were more in the market for dorm room supplies, shampoo and such, although to think now that I must have wondered if these items would be hard to find on campus seems unfathomably naive.

But this is not what I was thinking as I walked up and down the aisles, not looking for what I needed, yet, just walking. I was thinking: That was yesterday, not twenty years ago. I remember what I was wearing, the shorts and T-shirt, the sneakers with the stepped-on heels, how my skin looked: tan, what I was feeling: unbearably nostalgic in that self-glamorizing eighteen-year-old fashion, what I heard: my friend's unmistakable laugh in the make-up section, where I used to buy cover-up and green clay masks--do teenagers do this still, or are the green clay masks another relic in the teenage girl graveyard of self-improvement tools?

What has happened in these twenty years? I found myself thinking. Everything--most of my life--and yet nothing at all. I have two children, and sometimes I need to buy diaper cream, but I am still that same freckled girl who thought she was so old and wise and ironic, buying pencils to take off to college, quite easily made to laugh so hard in a drug store over something moronic that a clerk is summoned to check on the girls in the make-up aisle, girls whose idea of make-up is chapstick, girls who look like they're playing dress-up when they experiment with mascara, girls who will someday, two decades later--or at least one of them will--walk back out of this very same drug store wondering how the last twenty years disappeared in the blink of an eye, the firm slam of a car door, the turn of a key.

2 comments:

Liza said...

There must be a nostalgia bug going around. Here is what Beverly Beckham wrote in yesterday’s Boston Globe essay called “We are Every Age we’ve Ever Been”

She says: “What is inconceivable to me is that I am not a child anymore, or a teenage, or a young mother or 20, or 30, or 40, or 50. Not on the outside anyway. Not where people see. And that all of our lives are circumscribed by this. Because all of our lives we are more than what we are at a single moment. We are every age and every person we have ever been.”

See Amy, the last 20 years didn’t disappear, they are right inside you.

SMB said...

I can't believe you didn't write about the amazing dinner and wonderful time we all had on Sunday....