Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Baby Got, No Is, Back

As it turns out, I am not very good at writing every day when I actually have a lot of other (read: paying) work to do, which was the case over the last week when, as was noticed by my aunt if nobody else, I have not posted at all. This is a problem, as the writing is meant to be the other (read: primary) work. But for now, it is unavoidable. To be fair, the work I do when I am not writing here is writing, in a sense, and editing and revising and teaching writing to other people, but you know what I mean. It's not the same thing at all. Let's see if I can get myself back on the rails, one day at a time. Have I lost you? I hope not. How can I woo you back?

Tonight, I don't have much. All week I've been thinking of entries I would post when I had the time, but for some reason, right now, in the moment, I can't remember a one of them. Although perhaps someday in the future I will want to write about getting stuck in the subway turnstile with Annika in her stroller or how Annika responded when Lily made a guest appearance in her toddler group today, or the acapella group I heard this morning singing, beautifully, a song I love: This Magic Moment, or the planting I did on the roof with my class of five-year-olds today, but for now, I'm just not feeling it; remember: I'm easing back in.

So instead I will leave you with this: what I saw at the subway station at Union Square as I exited my train to head up to the street and back home after my children's literature book group. A man, standing at the base of the stairs to the street, with a stack of fliers in his hand. His sweatshirt was white, with an image of Jesus nailed to the cross silk screened on the front in black, surrounded by red and orange flames. The words: Jesus will save you from hell. All the way back home I kept thinking about this message: what it says about this man's interpretation of Jesus, what it says about this man's vision of hell, but most of all, what a very odd, very unfriendly, aggressive, presumptuous and hideously ugly design to be wearing around on your sweatshirt. 

Remind me tomorrow that I can write about a passage from my book group book: The Once and Future King. A quest!

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

Doesn't sound like it's saving him from hell.