Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Humor Me

Periodically, I am overwhelmed by a wave of guilt over Annika's baby book, which is largely blank thus far. I know this is a cliche--the fate of second children everywhere--and much of the time I can suppress my guilt, so overwhelmed am I by virtually everything else. But then. The wave comes (why does guilt feel like drowning?), and I succumb. 

So as an impetus to write in the book itself, I will practice here, by relaying the most extensive conversation I have had with Annika thus far, and--I suspect--the most extensive conversation Annika has yet had with anyone.

Scene: I am lying in bed, the covers over my head, trying to pretend I am still asleep. It is approximately, no exactly, 6:15 a.m. Lily is awake. Loud. (Why is Lily seemingly always awake? Why so loud?) I hear tiny padding footsteps. 

Annika: Mama? Mama? Mama up!

I open my eyes, and Annika is standing by my side of the bed, holding a little pair of shoes. I pick her up and place her next to me on the bed. She hands me the shoes.

Annika: Mama. Shoes on. Shoes on.

I put a shoe on her left foot.

Annika: Mama. Other one. Other shoe on.

I put the other shoe on her right foot. She surveys my handiwork.

Annika (very pleased): Shoes on! Pretty! Pretty!

Me: Yes. The shoes are on, and they look very pretty.

Annika: Down. Down. Show Dada. Show Lily. Pretty! 

I put her back down on the floor.

Annika: Bye-bye, Mama!

So Annika, this one's for you. You are 20 months old, and you talk! And before you are two, I am going to flesh out your baby book. But only if you start sleeping until 7. 

4 comments:

SMB said...

I need an Annika hug.... This entry was so sweet,rip it out and paste it in her baby book.

Liza said...

Yup, I agree with SMB. Plow through this blog, print the appropriate posts and include them in the baby book. I think you will find plenty. You are doing just fine Amy.

Pam said...

Save the guilt for the time you pretend to stay asleep. blank baby book? pah!(one of those Scrabble words)

SMB said...

Amy....where are you?
xox