Friday, September 5, 2008

Losing Steam

Have hit some kind of a wall--am not getting any enjoyment these days from writing. I am forcing myself right now, and I mean forcing because I actually got out of the chair three times to go to bed, and I can't even really remember why. I am going to think about this overnight and see if I can figure out a way out of this.

But for some reason I just remembered how on Saturday mornings, when I was growing up, my father used to take us to the town dump to drop off our garbage; this was how it was done. Afterward, we would stop at the Post Road Apothecary, the town drug store, where we would each be allowed to choose a candy bar. I loved going to the drug store. It was nothing like CVS or Rite Aid or today's big chains where you can buy everything from office supplies to hair dryers to canned soup and cameras. The drug store sold greeting cards, band-aids, cotton balls, hair brushes, medicine and candy.

The candy was the focal point, of course, although I logged plenty of time perusing the greeting cards, and although Alison chose something different almost every time, I almost always chose the same thing: a Charleston Chew. This was for several reasons. One, because I am, and was, a creature of habit. Two, because it is the longest candy bar, and therefore I believed I was getting the best possible deal out of my choice. And three, I liked the whole freezing it and cracking it into pieces for reasons related to number two, i.e. it made the candy bar, and the experience of eating it, last longer.

Anyway. Saturday morning candy bars from Post Road Apothecary. That's all I've got tonight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PRA was all about the Bonne Bell lip smackers for me. I think my favorite was the Dr. Pepper flavor.

Anonymous said...

I'm dating myself! My sister Connie and I also took the Saturday dump trip or the trip to hardware store or to the local nursery with Dad. On the way home he took us to J&A Cigar Store (a little apothecary type place that I think is a Thai restaurant now) and bought us each two candy bars for a nickel a piece. We called those treasures our "allowance" and I'm not sure that we did anything to earn them. Sometimes Dad took us to the "Penny Candy Store" which was in the gift shop of the old Wellesley Inn (recently torn down). There we got two pieces of candy for a penny—paper buttons, bulls-eyes, candy cigarettes, wax lips, Hersey’s kisses, sugar babies, string licorice. This delectable fortune would be placed in a brown paper bag that we would clutch to ourselves like sweet gold.

Don't stop writing Amy. The memories that you help us conjure are irreplaceable.