Thursday, September 4, 2008

One

It's the middle of the night, and I can't sleep, and it just occurred to me that exactly one year ago from this very minute I was sitting in my apartment, wide awake, both willing dawn to arrive and praying it wouldn't. Tomorrow, or rather today, is Annika's birthday.

Because of the complications of Lily's birth, I had to schedule Annika's birth two weeks before my actual due date. It seems so long ago now, but there were choices, and I agonized over them. Did I want to have the C-section before Labor Day? The arduous, anxious pregnancy would be over sooner, but the hospital staff would all be at the beach. I decided to wait until after the holiday weekend. The night before I was to go into the hospital I couldn't sleep at all. I sat on the reclining chair reading for a while, then just sat. Although the apartment was full--my family was here--it was quiet and still.

I remember being grateful that the feeling afraid was about to end, one way or another, because all along I'd known that the surgery could be dangerous for me, and I remember trying, desperately, to imagine Annika. Of course, I couldn't do it. All I could envision was a baby Lily, the baby Lily had been, with a feature or two tweaked, but I could no more imagine an entirely different baby, her own person, than I could make myself fall asleep. I pushed open the door to Lily's room. She was sound asleep. I tried to imagine how her life was going to change, and mine, and I couldn't do that either. All I could imagine was the two of us, going on as we had, with a prop baby off to one side, as though we'd just happened to pop Baby Ann, Lily's largest doll, into my handbag.

In the morning I was exhausted. Fueled by adrenaline, we got ourselves to the hospital. There was a lot of lying around on gurneys, shots, explanations of what was going to happen. It was cold; I was cold, pretty much at every stage of the process. And I steeled myself to remain alert. Lily's birth had been an excruciating, terrifying blur; this was cold and clinical, yes, but I'd be damned if I wasn't going to be fully present.

When the doctor held the baby up over the sheet so I could see her, I tried to focus but only got a fragmented view: her skin looked much darker than I'd expected, I saw brown hair, squinted eyes, tiny squared-off feet. Annika, I thought. She didn't look like her ultrasound picture. She didn't looked like Lily. She looked like herself.

It is the ultimate cliche to note that it's astonishing what can happen in a year. Barring unforeseen circumstances, I will not have to go to the hospital in the morning. But I will have to get up at 6:30 to give breakfast to my one-year-old girl. I think tonight, now, I may just be able to sleep.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember the hours before Alice came into our lives like it was yesterday -- excited to meet this new little person and become a family of four, and also terrified and sad about the end of our tight little family of three.

I have some vague memory of you watching 34 episodes of Law & Order the night before Annika was born, and possibly receiving an email that may have been sent at around 2 or 3 a.m. Am I making that up?

Happy Birthday to your sweet girl, Amy. May the next year of her life continue to be full of love, happiness, peace and creativity...

Miss you. xo

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Annika!

sheila said...

Lovely, Amy. It's almost Brook's 31st birthday and I remember it all so clearly. I also recall the details of Ethan's birth nearly 28 years ago. We don't forget, all the more part of our humanity.