Tuesday, September 30, 2008

L'Shanah Tovah

Yesterday I was working with a high school student when his mother mentioned something about someone who was "half Jewish." My student immediately shot back, "There's no such thing, Mom. You either are or you aren't." Technically, he's right. Although some reform Jews will recognize those whose mothers aren't Jewish as Jews, traditional Jewish law requires matrilineal Judaism, and my mother is not a Jew.

But one of the best things about Judaism, which marks it as distinctive from so many other faiths, is that it encourages questioning, and as a proud half-Jew with a father who was raised Orthodox, I would like to respectfully disagree with my young charge.

Because my last name is Jewish, people almost always assume I am Jewish. This has been true for as long as I can remember. And when people make inclusive comments, as happens frequently, I never correct them. If asked outright, which rarely happens, I explain that I was born to parents of different religious backgrounds and sent to a liberal Unitarian church for religious education and spirituality--and then, when their eyes glaze over--I stop. Half-Jewish is a better answer. People either think it's bologna, so to speak, and let it drop, or are also half-Jewish and take it as an opportunity for a high five (this is generally when the asker is male).

Where am I going with this? I wish I knew. But when I read the email I received today from my dad's cousin, the former Gloria Schrager of Philadelphia (long story), which read, in part: "To my long lost cousins, some of whom I have never met, my daughter, and other members of the tribe, wherever you are geographically, I wish all of you a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Six degrees of separation, genes, and blood, we are all connected," I felt connected. Not half-connected but fully connected, to a long line of people as far back as people go, who look like me, sound like me, smile like me are related to me, genetically and yes, as Jews.

Rosh Hashanah may be my favorite Jewish holiday. I like new beginnings, fresh starts, second chances. I like autumn, much better than January, and have always thought September a far more fitting month in which to celebrate the ending of one cycle and the launching of another.

So from this half-Jew to ye of all faiths, or none: L'Shanah Tovah. A very good year for us all.

1 comment:

Elizabeth Stark said...

High five and La Shana Tovah.