Monday, December 22, 2008

Holiday Sentiments Et Al

It is amazing how much I do not want to be writing right now. The problem with writing 365 days a year is that a person needs a break, a sanctioned break, from ANYTHING, and although I have essentially taken one over the past few days in that I have written a line or two at most, I have been thinking about writing, or rather not writing, and feeling anxious about the blog, in a way that is threatening to impinge on my holiday cheer. So, I hope my loyal readers won't abandon me, but I have made an executive decision (easy, when there is only one of you), that I am going to take a blog break until December 26th, the day after Christmas. This way, I can focus on introducing Lily and Annika to several feet of untouched snow, eating chocolate in front of the fireplace, wrapping presents, and reading as many books as I can pack into the next few days without the thought hanging over me that there is something else I am meant to be doing. Part of me wants to--now that I am writing (see! it works! writing begets writing!)--erase this post and write about parties. I am fascinated by why and how we commemorate signposts in our lives. Or snow. How being here, now, in this white, white world is so evocative to me of my childhood winters and so alien to my winters of today. But I am giving myself a few days off as a gift. So when I return, on Friday, I will be invigorated and excited to write. In spite of the task I have set for myself, it should not feel like a chore. Work, yes. A chore, no.

Happiest holidays full of warmth and light and laughter to anyone happening upon this. Please come back on Friday.

3 comments:

Christie said...

You absolutely deserve the break. I'm looking forward to one myself if I ever make it East. (I'm in Las Vegas right now and if everything goes well will be on a plane in an hour to NY)

Merry Christmas, Amy!

Anonymous said...

One of the best gifts is to give yourself time to enjoy yourself. Way to go! Do whatever you want, even longer than the 26th, if you still need it. I think you've shown that you can continue to write and write very well. I don't think doing something because you think you SHOULD lets you enjoy it as much.

Elizabeth Stark said...

I'll miss your blog but agree that you deserve a break. I've noticed that I've given myself a bit of a break, too. Of course, it's not quite a break if its filled with other chores, but I guess that's how life goes . . . Happy Holidays!